April 30, 2007

Who is Eligible for Federal Aid?

Posted in Graduate Students, Grants, Misc, Parent PLUS Loans, Saving for College, Stafford Loans, The Financial Aid Process at 9:04 AM by kpops

In order to be eligible for a Stafford Loan or any other Federal Financial Aid you must be one of the following…

  • U.S. Citizen
  • U.S. National (Includes Natives of American Samoa or Swain’s Island
  • U.S. Permanent Resident who has an I-151, I-551, or I-551C (Permanent Resident Card)

If you are not in one of the above mentioned categories, you must have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) showing one of the following designations:

  • Refugee
  • Asylum Granted
  • Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending
  • Conditional Entrant (valid only if issued prior to April 1, 1980)
  • Parolee (Must be paroled in the U.S. for at least one year and must be able to provide evidance from the USCIS that you in the U.S. for other than a temporary purpose and that you intend to become a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident)

You are not eligible for Federal Aid if you only have a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Resident (I-171 or I-464).

If you are in the U.S. on F1 or F2 Student Visa, or J1 or a J2 exchange visitor visa then you are not eligible for Federal Financial Aid. Also, students with G Series Visa’s are not eligible.

The Student Loan Network: Stafford Federal Student Loans, Parent PLUS Loans, Student Loan Consolidation, Private Student Loans

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: