July 1, 2008

Divorce and Student Loans

Posted in FAFSA, Parent PLUS Loans, Stafford Loans, Student Loan News, The Financial Aid Process at 9:45 AM by Joe From Boston

To get Federal student loans, you need to fill out the FAFSA. But if your parents are divorced, who fills it out?

Kiplinger has a great article that answers just that question:

Read the whole article here or read the excerpt below:

My parents are divorced, and I am wondering who should file the FAFSA financial-aid forms. My primary address is with my mother, but she only makes $15,000 a year and receives $20,000 a year in child support. My father and stepmom make $170,000 per year. Should my mom file the FAFSA, even though my dad says he is paying for my college? If my dad and stepmom file, won’t this hurt my chances of receiving financial aid because of their income? How does this work with divorced parents who are remarried?

It looks like you’re in luck: The federal aid formula considers only the finances of the custodial parent (the parent you lived with the most in the past 12 months). If the custodial parent is remarried, the stepparent’s income and assets are considered, too.

But the federal formula doesn’t include the financial resources of the noncustodial parent — regardless of any agreements the parents have made about who will pay for college. State aid formulas are generally the same.

Some private colleges, however, do ask about the noncustodial parent’s income and assets on their own aid forms and consider the resources of both parents — as well as the custodial parent’s spouse. But they generally don’t consider the income and assets of the noncustodial parent’s spouse.

A few colleges use the income and assets of both natural parents without asking for any information from the stepparents when calculating financial aid. It’s a good idea to ask up front about the school’s financial-aid formula, which could make a big difference in the amount of aid you could receive.

And here’s another article for your perusal.


  1. Ivory said,

    Fastidious answer back in return of this
    question with genuine arguments and telling the whole thing regarding that.

  2. Thank you for the information. My wife and I have disparate income and with the right planning between Junior and Senior year, we probably can get the financial aid our son will need to bridge the gap between what has been saved and what he needs.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: